Author Topic: Gamespy is shutting down.  (Read 745 times)

Masaq

• Sissy
    • View Profile
Re: Gamespy is shutting down.
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 06:24:59 PM »
Hey dudes.  Postal 2 already contains a GameSpy replacement.  No one noticed this command has been there forever?

Code: [Select]
C:\Program Files (x86)\Postal2STP\System>ucc.exe masterserver
UMasterServerCommandlet: Unreal Engine Master Server
Copyright 2001 Epic Games, Inc.

It uses one simple config file MasterServer.ini

[MasterServer]
GameName=postal2
OperationMode=TCPLink
ListenPort=27900
[TCPLink]
TCPPort=28900

Anyone can launch a replacement for the GameSpy master, right now, no waiting.  UMasterServer is included even in the Free Multiplayer Edition.

Masaq

• Sissy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2014, 10:31:58 PM »
Thankfully, UCC MasterServer is an historical curiosity.

333networks MasterServer supports Postal 2.

So there's no need to wait months for SteamWorks multiplayer.  When master.gamespy.com stops, master.333networks.com will continue.  I just did a search-and-replace in my Postal2.ini file, and it works fine.

Toploader

• Administrator
  • God Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2014, 04:39:02 AM »
Save me some researching and reading please and tell me what needs to be done here. Do POSTAL 2 servers themselves need to have info added into their .ini files too, or just the clients? 

And it's as simple as adding this to one or both .ini?

[MasterServer]
GameName=postal2
OperationMode=TCPLink
ListenPort=27900
[TCPLink]
TCPPort=28900

Cthulhu

• Sissy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2014, 10:12:21 AM »
Can't say I'm too surprised, but i am sad.  Oh well, R.I.P. classic MP games.

At least Battlefield will remain without effect, though most of the remotely decent Battlefield games are dead.

Masaq

• Sissy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2014, 04:18:46 PM »
Save me some researching and reading please and tell me what needs to be done here. Do POSTAL 2 servers themselves need to have info added into their .ini files too, or just the clients? 
Search for
master.gamespy.com and replace with
master.333networks.com in Postal2.ini on all servers and all clients.

RIP gamespy master.  It will be missed when it is gone.

sheridanm962

• Going Postal
  • Stick it in her pooper
    • View Profile
    • Shredderman's Forums
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2014, 02:50:33 AM »
For Steam:

Search for
master.gamespy.com and replace with
master.gaben.com in Postal2.ini on all servers and all clients.

CoolNutz

• Joe Bob
  • NUT SMASH!
    • View Profile
    • Postlawl 2013
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2014, 10:18:30 AM »

Dr.Flay

• Sissy
  • Unreal expectations
    • View Profile
    • The UT99/UnReal Forum Site and Server Directory
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2014, 02:36:02 PM »
It would help to explain the difference between systems,so you know which you need/want.

Gametracker etc. are app and web-based tracker systems (and usually want your money)
 Many games have in-built server lookup and internally send a heartbeat to "masterservers".

Using a 3rd party system like Gametracker, Gameranger, Qtracker etc. bypasses that need but means you have to use a web browser or dedicated software.

There are pros and cons with both systems, and the level of info/feedback will vary.
 Remember. They will both work together.

Some games are preconfigured with several masterservers, to add extra reliability. Unreal engine games are often well equipped and use 3 or more.

The original Unreal game has 5 masterservers, so there is never any danger of an empty list in the game.
 UT99 has 2 full-time masters and is about to get more.
 At 333networks we are currently looking at expanding the ability for certain U-engine games to also support multiple masters.

333networks has stepped-in to support many games that need classic masterserver support for the original GS protocol.
 There is a large list of supported games now on the front-page, and it is worth checking to see if you have any of the games listed. They are not all covered by your tracker.
http://333networks.com

Darkelarious has written a new masterserver system, with an eye on reliability for the future, and better functionality.
 It is an open source project, and available for community leaders to host their own specific masters.
 You can find the latest release here;
http://hooksutplace.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?t=2156&p=19099&sid=21b295b35c4149f1a4b20e7bfd76e3bf#p19099

Unlike Gametracker, GameRanger, Qtracker, Overwatch, raptr, raknet, Steam etc. using the traditional masters can show you far more currently online results from different neworks, and your fave tracker will still log them.
 GameRanger and Qtracker take heartbeats directly from games, so server admin do not need extra software.
We are currently working with Scott at GameRanger to make sure the systems keep talking to each-other. Hopefully soon we will be able to combine the results from GameRanger into the internal list you see in-game.

If you have any concerns about support for your games, or more importantly run a server on the death-list, you can also contact us in the house IRC and arrange tests.
 We have a thread specifically covering Gamespy, here http://hooksutplace.freeforums.org/gamespy-masterserver-t2305.html
 All info and resources we find will be posted in that thread.
 irc.synirc.net #333networks WebIRC http://cgiirc.synirc.net/?chan=%23333networks

Username:
Password:
Session: