Author Topic: Thank you for respecting gamers!  (Read 4456 times)

Lativle

• Joe Bob
  • Women and minorities first.
    • View Profile
Re: Thank you for respecting gamers!
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2012, 10:33:01 AM »
amdcpu driver
Are you sure it wasn't a AMD GPU-driver? Sounds kind of odd, since there are no CPU drivers.

MrDownerup

• RWSBob
  • Administrator
  • God Like
  • Also? I can kill you with my brain.
    • View Profile
    • RWS
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2012, 10:37:05 AM »
I don't get why DirectX is supposedly superior than OpenGL, I mean its not like you can have DirectX on multiple platforms unlike OpenGL.
Oh and did you hear? When Valve ported Left4Dead to Linux and had to switch the renderer to OpenGL they had a speedboost of 300%. Just to name some facts you GAMERS might find cool...

I've been making a few HD maps for postal lately,and I test these maps in linux/windows with OpenGL,and I also test 'em under DirectX....now,while OpenGL does seem to offer a performance increase,it fucks up shaders in windows.. in linux however..the shaders work,but! they still don't look as nice.. now is the fault the card maker,or OpenGL? I dunnu,but I do know directx looks better..IMO with an old game like postal where fps aren't an issue for me..I want the eye candy..

FourDegrees

• Sissy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2012, 11:15:55 AM »
amdcpu driver

Are you sure it wasn't a AMD GPU-driver? Sounds kind of odd, since there are no CPU drivers.

from http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/dynamicDetails.aspx?ListID=c5cd2c08-1432-4756-aafa-4d9dc646342f&ItemID=153&lang=us

AMD Dual-Core Optimizer Version 1.1.4
Description:

The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer can help improve some PC gaming video performance by compensating for those applications that bypass the Windows API for timing by directly using the RDTSC (Read Time Stamp Counter) instruction. Applications that rely on RDTSC do not benefit from the logic in the operating system to properly account for the affect of power management mechanisms on the rate at which a processor core's Time Stamp Counter (TSC) is incremented. The AMD Dual-Core Optimizer helps to correct the resulting video performance effects or other incorrect timing effects that these applications may experience on dual-core processor systems, by periodically adjusting the core time-stamp-counters, so that they are synchronized.

This driver is for Windows XP only.

i used to have it installed actually when i had Athlon x2.

eukos

• Lizard King
  • Point.
    • View Profile
    • OldTimes Software
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2012, 12:53:44 PM »
I don't get why DirectX is supposedly superior than OpenGL, I mean its not like you can have DirectX on multiple platforms unlike OpenGL.
Oh and did you hear? When Valve ported Left4Dead to Linux and had to switch the renderer to OpenGL they had a speedboost of 300%. Just to name some facts you GAMERS might find cool...

I've been making a few HD maps for postal lately,and I test these maps in linux/windows with OpenGL,and I also test 'em under DirectX....now,while OpenGL does seem to offer a performance increase,it fucks up shaders in windows.. in linux however..the shaders work,but! they still don't look as nice.. now is the fault the card maker,or OpenGL? I dunnu,but I do know directx looks better..IMO with an old game like postal where fps aren't an issue for me..I want the eye candy..

OpenGL shouldn't be responsible for the game looking any different to be quite honest. The Unreal Engine 2 did never officially support OpenGL and implementation also was never finished completely according to the latest UT2k4 sourcecode. So I guess you can see where that issue comes from.

Hamish

• Joe Bob
  • "I regret nothing!"
    • View Profile
    • icculus.org homepage
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2012, 01:57:04 PM »
Not that we never have to deal with libraries, but thank god for SDL and a good Linux package manager.  Do not have to deal with too much of this shit. :)

Hamish

• Joe Bob
  • "I regret nothing!"
    • View Profile
    • icculus.org homepage
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2012, 01:58:46 PM »
Quote from: eukos
OpenGL shouldn't be responsible for the game looking any different to be quite honest. The Unreal Engine 2 did never officially support OpenGL and implementation also was never finished completely according to the latest UT2k4 sourcecode. So I guess you can see where that issue comes from.

As far as I was aware UE2 did officially support OpenGL but DirectX was the default. I certainly never noticed any issues playing UE2 games on Linux using OpenGL.

eukos

• Lizard King
  • Point.
    • View Profile
    • OldTimes Software
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2012, 02:10:49 PM »
OpenGL never was officially supported, not even in the first Unreal engine - atleast not on Windows. On Linux you obviously cannot use DirectX so you were forced to use OpenGL and according to everyone who tried it here it runs pretty well on Linux. They most likely have done many changes to optimize it. Windows on the other hand was left with DirectX

FaTony

• God Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2012, 08:19:13 PM »
now is the fault the card maker,or OpenGL?

OpenGL is just a standard. How good the final result will be is up to an implementation.

GeneralAtrox

• Sissy
  • Yaaaay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2012, 09:54:36 AM »
I must agree that not having to sit through installations is nice. But it prevents basic problems with the little people who don't understand computers and would ship off their PC to some mechanic to it fixed.

Living in a house of 6 an get quite tiresome with pc problems occurring. Better wait 5 minutes rather then spend 30 minutes debugging a problem haha!

Thanks RWS, I hope to see potential new content or patches :-)

OverlordZombie

• Sissy
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2012, 02:01:26 PM »
Here's some info about why we have to install DirectX in almost every game on Steam

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/03/why-steam-makes-you-install-directx-repeatedly/

It has to do with libraries and how DirectX works

prawdziwy 666

• Lizard King
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2012, 04:02:49 PM »
Here's some info about why we have to install DirectX in almost every game on Steam

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/08/03/why-steam-makes-you-install-directx-repeatedly/

It has to do with libraries and how DirectX works

and here
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=23759166&postcount=47

so if someone had a problem with starting Postal 2 on Steam that we know why

Toploader

• Administrator
  • God Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2012, 04:14:58 PM »
From your link:

Games which don't use the D3DX helpers (such as Source engine games) don't require running the annoying installer on first launch as they only depend on major d3d9/10/11 versions being installed. However, games that do use D3DX must run it as it's the only way Microsoft has allowed for distributing and checking the version info on the files.

I'm pretty sure we fall into that category anyway so should be fine.

Ingram

• God Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2012, 05:39:23 PM »
Installed Steam, downloaded Postal2Complete, then deleted steam. You don't need it to play :D

MrDownerup

• RWSBob
  • Administrator
  • God Like
  • Also? I can kill you with my brain.
    • View Profile
    • RWS
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2012, 05:40:55 PM »
Installed Steam, downloaded Postal2Complete, then deleted steam. You don't need it to play :D

you will need it to get the updates we plan on adding tho.  ;)

Ingram

• God Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2012, 05:56:14 PM »
I know, but the needless of steam, the possibility to play the game without that shitty software, is something important to me, so i wanted to say it.
 It would be annoying for me if the postal2 executables had the need of steam, i have an OCD, i want games to be 'standalone', and if it isn't that way, i go postal.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 06:15:22 PM by Ingram »

Username:
Password:
Session: