Author Topic: What's your favourite book and why?  (Read 2185 times)

jabbapopovvodka

• God Like
    • View Profile
What's your favourite book and why?
« on: August 13, 2012, 12:27:17 PM »
Hi guys! Thought I'd make a semi-intellectual post, for you four-eyed sniffling brainiacs out there! I even used a "British" spelling in the title! Don't be afraid! The redcoats aren't coming! I just thought it would ad a little bit of esteem-able flair, for as we all know, in this topsy-turvy BigMac world, it isn't often one gets to take the time to appreciate a capacity towards classiness; neither do we often treat our brains with an I-Love-You hug! So enough of the brambling about! What's your favourite book, and why? Also, no cheating and saying stuff like the Bible or Qur'an: I understand the importance of religion and/or spirituality in one's life, so it goes without saying the value one might place in these "Mighty Tomes!" It's also not my place to foment a kind of religious debate, at the moment at least! (Haha, I'm a cheeky bastard, or am I?)

So I'll start first. My favorite author is Dostoevsky, because two of my favorite books were written by him. It's a toss up (in the figurative sense, don't ruffle those pages or crease any spines!) between Crime and Punishment and The Brothers Karamazov.  Crime and Punishment, because I thought it was really edgy stuff having the main character hack away at a pawn broker and her retarded half-sister (ala "and her little dog too, the man really knew how to add that little extra flourish things, teehee!) with an axe specially slung in in a coat compartment invented for just the purpose. The revolution's got to start somewhere!... Brother's Karamazov, because of the brothers' father, Fyodor Karamazov. A more oafish goof in all of literature I've never met! You can feel the slime dripping in his every swig of brandy or obscene squawking!

Anywho, somebody else, pull up a chair, lean back, light a candle, and share your prose adventures! Or poetry! Why not! I'm not going to discriminate (just yet, teehee!)

poop87

• Going Postal
  • Is awaiting his Quake 4 key. :(
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: What's your favourite book and why?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 12:55:18 PM »
I like Catcher in the Rye because of how Holden Claufield is protrayed as a man-child.

poop87

• Going Postal
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 12:55:39 PM »
And I'm saying in a good way.

Flanagan

• Official Tooltip Administrative Constipator of Postal 3 Affairs
  • God Like
  • Glad I could help!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 01:33:39 PM »
I appreciate the "intellectual-stimulation" attempt you made here, which makes me feel for you, when a 13 year old comes in saying "my fafvrotie book is catchrer in the rye". I do think the overdone "overly-intellectual and classy" bit is played out, though. Just saying.

As for my favorite book, I gotta say I haven't done much reading since I was a kid, simply because the medium doesn't stimulate or interest me as much. I guess film and video games have messed up my attention span that I just can't sit down and read a book anymore, which I realize is quite a shame, but I can't really help it.
Last good book I remember reading was "Three Men in a Boat" which I guess qualifies as my favorite, since it's fucking funny. It's way funnier than any book deserves to be, in fact, which is made all the more amazing by the fact that it's over a century old. Not as much because of the social commentary or observations (which I am done with ever listening to ever again) but rather because of the writing style. Every sentence is crafted in such a way that makes the humor flawless. Weather it be how something is unexpectedly said in a blunt, short sentence or how something small and/or simple can be dragged out in excruciatingly overdone sentences. Reading through the book in the public settings that I did, I couldn't control myself and laughed out loud quite a few times. It's a damn funny book.

EDIT-
As I made this post, I completely forgot to mention that the other thing that makes "Three Men in a Boat" so good is how it balances the funny parts with the equally good serious and engaging parts, making the book immsersive, relatable and believable as fuck, and making the funny bits just that much more funny.
EDIT#2-
It also just dawned on me that the book is still kinda popular, so it might be that nothing I've said so far was new or interesting. If so, sorry about that. Like I said - I don't read much books.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 01:47:34 PM by Flanagan »

Quawonk

• Going Postal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 02:49:22 PM »
I Am Better Than Your Kids by Maddox

FaTony

• God Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2012, 03:07:53 PM »
My favorite book is, hands down, ISO/IEC 14882:2011. Keep coming back to it and every time I read it, I learn something new. Such a masterpiece.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 03:11:06 PM by FaTony »

Heather

• Global Moderator
  • God Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 04:49:58 PM »
"Love, Lust and Faking It" by Jenny McCarthy

jabbapopovvodka

• God Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 05:26:35 PM »
You didn't say why. Unless "Jenny McCarthy" is the why. In which case, I still don't understand. ???

Heather

• Global Moderator
  • God Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2012, 10:13:18 PM »
Because it's a lighthearted book about sex and relationships.  I've read a couple of her books, including "Louder Than Words" and I like how she uses humor to discuss serious subjects (or fun subjects).  It makes her more relatable I suppose.

I also read a really good book a while back called The Lemon Tree by Sandy Tolan.  It's about a Jewish family and an Arab family and how their paths crossed when going to visit their childhood home.  It was a hard book to follow, I found myself reading the same page a couple of times, just to understand it, but it was still a good book.

poop87

• Going Postal
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2012, 06:56:32 PM »
Okay, this one is for real. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Its humor is well-played and its charm never goes away. I even made a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster! Best in British literature beside 1984. Looking at you, Toploader.

SlimDurst

• God Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 07:18:54 PM »
The Lord Of The Rings.

LynnG

• Sissy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 09:38:21 PM »
Operating systems 3rd Ed, pub:1987

jabbapopovvodka

• God Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 04:03:19 PM »
Is the publication date an explanation, or an addendum to the title? If the latter, please provide the former! If the former, regress further back into your childhood, and describe in single words, only the good things that come in to your mind about... your mother.

LynnG

• Sissy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 06:46:02 PM »
it has pictures of dinosaurs labelled as operating systems on the front.  You tell me why it's awesome.

ExtremeSwat

• Lizard King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2012, 12:30:32 PM »
Jack London : White Fang !!!!
 :-* :-*

Username:
Password:
Session: