Author Topic: Mac,PC or Linux?  (Read 2539 times)

mrchriscrisp

• Sissy
    • View Profile
Mac,PC or Linux?
« on: August 07, 2012, 11:31:13 AM »
I was just wondering because personley If I had the money I would bye a mac and use it for surfing the internets like I am now and the bye a seprate PC for gaming (pc gaming ftw!)

FaTony

• God Like
    • View Profile
Re: Mac,PC or Linux?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 07:44:53 AM »
Mac is a religion. You really want to stay away from that.

Windows was good while it lasted. With Windows 8 it all goes the Mac way.

Linux is not an operating system, it's a kernel. The most popular operating system which uses Linux kernel... I think it's Android. After that goes GNU/Linux and probably FreeBSD. I'm not sure if you can install Android on PC but even if you can, it's really stupid idea. So you'd really want GNU/Linux. However, there is no "canon" version of it. As everyone's free to mix and match free software, there are many GNU/Linux distributions out there which are basically just different sets of the same components. So "going Linux" is not as easy as it sounds, however you have the freedom to try almost any distro gratis and then change it at your heart's content.

On the other hand there is a worrying trend of going touchscreen. Win8, KDE4, GNOME3 and Unity - all look like complete shit. With free software you can always choose a different shell, on proprietary - not so much.

For the computer newbie GNU/Linux is the best way to go. It's only weakness is lack of native games and music production software (or maybe I didn't search hard enough, but nothing matches VST yet).

mrchriscrisp

• Sissy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 03:03:40 PM »
i know what your talking about with the windows thing, i dont know whats worse win vista or 8

Quawonk

• Going Postal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 03:09:07 PM »
Everything I've heard and seen about Windows 8 is shit. I hope it ends up being skipped over by the majority of users like Win 2000 and Vista was. Then maybe Micro$oft would stop releasing whole new OS's and just update what works. XP lasted 10 years and lots of people still use it.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 03:11:40 PM by Quawonk »

Toploader

• Administrator
  • God Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 03:18:20 PM »
Win 8 is a great move for them as a company, it's trying to tempt people like me away from my current trend of having an Android phone, tablet and using Google mail and chrome.  The surface tablet, the pro version of which can run
a full Windows 8 and run all Windows applications, which is mighty tempting.  Maybe there will be a day I use Windows 8 / 9, own a windows phone and also use a Windows tablet.  Hell, might even be a day I use a Microsoft console, but right now I'm firmly a Sony fanboy there with my PS3 and Vita  8)

But while I am still Googles bitch I'll not be rushing to update Windows 7, although apparently other than the new UI Win 8 uses it's actually quite a bit better in many areas, such as faster boot up times and better performance.

Toploader

• Administrator
  • God Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 07:22:33 AM »
I love how Gabe is so vocal on this making himself sound like the champion of the people, when he's now trying to sell software through Steam (starting next month).  He's not not amused his business model is being threatened.

Quawonk

• Going Postal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 11:43:09 AM »
More like he's concerned about Micro$oft using their dominant position to lock out competition. Just like anyone else should be.

Ingram

• God Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 07:57:16 PM »
Thread name should be "Mac Or PC?" Linux runs in normal PC's, just like Windows.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 08:15:57 PM by Ingram »

FaTony

• God Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2012, 11:13:26 AM »
Mac OS X runs on regular PCs.  ::)

SlimDurst

• God Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2012, 11:42:21 AM »
Anyone try making a Hackintosh?

Quawonk

• Going Postal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 04:46:22 AM »

FlameX

• Lizard King
  • Weeaboo Faggot
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 06:22:18 AM »
PC,Windows. only because I'm too lazy to try other shit and all shit is supported on it (sadly.)

jabbapopovvodka

• God Like
  • Guns don't kill people. SWORDS kill people!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2012, 07:12:51 AM »
Now I'm not rightly a fan of Apple Macintosh Computers, but BigMacs? I'll tie a napkin around my neck any day for that! Just keep postal away from it please, okay? Don't want to get any krotchy in my mouth! Haha!

Ingram

• God Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2012, 09:58:39 AM »
Mac OS X runs on regular PCs.  ::)

Aren't there versions for normal pc's and also another kind of machine that isn't the same as a pc and you can't install windows/linux?

Username:
Password:
Session: