Author Topic: OUYA: The console that could change the world.  (Read 2058 times)

Toploader

• Administrator
  • God Like
    • View Profile
OUYA: The console that could change the world.
« on: July 12, 2012, 04:42:12 PM »
Well damn, this is such a great idea.  I'm still gonna wait and see what happens (not like they need a pledge at this point, they have already rocketed past the goal in a few days) but as a modder and android fan, I like where this could lead. Click the link and watch the video

http://kck.st/Mfvs9y
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 05:47:15 PM by Toploader »

The_YongGrand

• Lizard King
  • Probably tangled it on the seat of mine!
    • View Profile
Re: OUYA: The console that could change the world.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 04:51:04 PM »
I like that toy. I hope I can write programs, put some retro games inside and such.

Thing is, Android's a bit buggy and likes to crash for no reason.

FaTony

• God Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 05:57:11 PM »
While I dislike Android, I'd probably give it a try.

I was thinking about buying Arduino or Raspberry Pi though.

The_YongGrand

• Lizard King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 11:19:20 PM »
While I dislike Android, I'd probably give it a try.

I was thinking about buying Arduino or Raspberry Pi though.

Android made a mess on my low-end smartphone. It crashes and dials the wrong number. Very annoying trait. It is only good on higher end devices like the tablet.

If you are an electronics begineer, Arduino is very good. The shields, and the support system are fantastic. I have a couple of them but I did not make stuff out from Arduino because I have a lot of other microcontrollers to use. Some of the higher end Arduino-like clones which is the 32-bit ChipKit are being sold too, and they have a lot more power than the Arduino. However, the support system for the ChipKit isn't all that good.

I did not have the chance to play with the Arduino yet due to the fact that it hadn't been popular. When I started toying with microcontrollers, all I had was the Microchip's PIC16F and I had to wrote it in assembly language.

For the Raspberry Pi, it's hard to order these now. The stocks keep running out.  :'(

Toploader

• Administrator
  • God Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 11:28:12 PM »
I had Android on a ZTE blade (about as low end as you could get at the time) and it worked pretty well. Admittedtly it worked much better after I'd rooted it and stuck CyanogenMod mod onto it. I recently brought this too to fuck around with emulators:

Was only £60 / $100. I really like the openness of Android in that regard.

The_YongGrand

• Lizard King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 11:40:55 PM »
I had Android on a ZTE blade (about as low end as you could get at the time) and it worked pretty well. Admittedtly it worked much better after I'd rooted it and stuck CyanogenMod mod onto it. I recently brought this too to fuck around with emulators:

Was only £60 / $100. I really like the openness of Android in that regard.

I like that little thing. I don't know whether I could get this in my town or not.

I used the Samsung Galaxy Ace, and used a Cyanogen mod (official), so it is much better compared to the stock ROM. The stock ROM is so-so, it randomly crashed on my Yahoo-mail app, and sometimes, acted up on certain applications.

Toploader

• Administrator
  • God Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 11:44:11 PM »
You could probably order one from China where they are spawning from but I was able to get one from a UK retailer that imported.  For the money it's cool, screen is not amazing and it's resistive touch although still works pretty well.

The_YongGrand

• Lizard King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 11:54:23 PM »
You could probably order one from China where they are spawning from but I was able to get one from a UK retailer that imported.  For the money it's cool, screen is not amazing and it's resistive touch although still works pretty well.

I'll get 'em if they are cheap enough. :)

I like the word you are using: "spawning". That explains most of the mass production in there. ;D

Toploader

• Administrator
  • God Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 12:00:51 AM »
Yup, China mass produce a bunch of crap then lend us the money to buy it from them.  :-\

The_YongGrand

• Lizard King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2012, 11:50:11 PM »
I just ordered a Rasperry Pi, which looks like a potential retro-gaming console if loaded with the proper sets of emulators.

I may need to get some NES joypads to work with the USB if I can make time for that. The interfacing can be a real challenge, though. :)

Flanagan

• Official Instigative Menstrual Cyclist of Postal 3 Independant Contracts
  • God Like
  • Glad I could help!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2012, 03:56:35 AM »
consoles as a concept are outdated and archaic. pc master reace is the only tru future.

besides this thing is just an android device (no more powerful than a decent smartphone) that hooks up to your tv. hardly going to revolutionize anything.

the pricing plan is ceertainly attractive but outragously flawed and I'll find it funny ass hell when it crashes and burns.

The_YongGrand

• Lizard King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2012, 05:36:43 AM »
consoles as a concept are outdated and archaic. pc master reace is the only tru future.

besides this thing is just an android device (no more powerful than a decent smartphone) that hooks up to your tv. hardly going to revolutionize anything.

the pricing plan is ceertainly attractive but outragously flawed and I'll find it funny ass hell when it crashes and burns.

The console vs. PC can be a very tiring debate, so I wouldn't want to discuss which one is better.

I believe that the little Android console can be used for other thing else, like a Media Player or such. Plus, there are hobby programmers who can play around with the thing and to learn something.

However, for retro-gaming geeks like me, a miniature SBC (Single Board Computer) can let one enjoy old games on a TV without busting too much funds.

Toploader

• Administrator
  • God Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2012, 08:31:44 AM »

TBH I agree that the Ouya is not all that, but I like the concept.  I hope it does well enough for them, or another company, to release a similar system based on some hardcore specs.

Username:
Password:
Session: