Author Topic: so whats the deal with indie games  (Read 2068 times)

Flanagan

• Official Instigative Menstrual Cyclist of Postal 3 Independant Contracts
  • God Like
  • Glad I could help!
    • View Profile
so whats the deal with indie games
« on: September 08, 2012, 03:00:54 AM »
why do indie games suck so bad? not to generalize, of course. obviously not all games branded as "indie" are bad. postal 1+2 are as indie as can get, afterall. but like what is it about most of these ""indie games"" that is so shitty??

i buy every humble bundle for a penny so ive amased a bit of a collection of indies so ill talk about em and what i think.

first off the ones that arent complete shit:

- Amnesia the dark descent - im kinda down with this game, especially with the awesome interact-with-everything engine, i didnt hate playin this, tho it kinda missed the mark on the whole "haunted by the unknown" by only using scripted monster encounters that are easily avoided and by making them clearly visible monsters. once i got a good close-up look at one of those things, i laughed at how goofy it looked and i was never scared of them again. also your character whimpering like a child after a few seconds in the dark gets fucking annoying.

- bastion - this game is kinda descent, im down with the artstyle and mechanics. my only problem is how fuckin dull it is, it gets wicked boring wicked fast. also jesus fuck who cares about that narration it aint anything new or revolutionary, max payne did shit like that like a decade ago.

now the ones that are fu king shit

- and yet it moves - have you played it?

- BIT.TRIP whatever - these games are fucking dull. BEAT just has you moving the mouse up and down, and RUNNER just has you cliking space a bunch of times.

- Braid - uninspired, dull ass fuck with only a boring mechanic to carry it

- Canabalt - its BIT.TRIP RUNER except without an artstyle

- EDGE - a dull office title with a dull style gimmick that doesnt go anywhere

- LIMBO - basicly an interactive short film i.e. style over substance thers nothing to the puzzles there once you figure them all out theres nothing for you to do in the game ever aGAIN

- Lone Survivor - an uninspired 2D pixelated silent hill clone without any of the characters or interesting shit that made silent hill what it was

- Nightsky - a gimmick sidescroller/platformer with not much to it

- Osmos - dull ass fuck

- Super Meat Boy - a trial and error "retro-style" platformer with no consequence for you fucking up making the game impossible to lose

- VVVVVVVVVVVV - a "retro-styled" pixelated mess with shitty gimmicks and crap, no consequence for fucking up.

- zen bound 2 - hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

you know how in pop culture now theres a indie movie parody where you parody an indie movie by making it black n white, making no sense and everyone smokes cigarettes?? i think the equivilent of that for indie games is a "retro-inspired" plaatformer that fuks up p much everything that made those old platformers so good.

in conclusion - fuk indie games and fuk u all

FaTony

• God Like
    • View Profile
Re: so whats the deal with indie games
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 03:03:52 AM »
Postal 2 indie? Lolwut, wikipedia says that P2 got at least 2 publishers, that's not indie at all.

Flanagan

• God Like
  • Glad I could help!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 04:01:27 AM »
well tbh what youd call "indie" is very hard to pin down i mean bastion was also published by WB games, but only after it was pretty much done by the team, so im going with "indie games are developed by an independant team, if they get a disturbotr/publisher afterwards, its still indie"

postal 2 was developed by like 3 guys and a camel, so its indie.

in conlcusion: fuk fatony. his gay n dum.

Toploader

• Administrator
  • God Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 08:12:34 AM »
Postal 2 indie? Lolwut, wikipedia says that P2 got at least 2 publishers, that's not indie at all.

Depends how to define indie. POSTAL 2 was about as 'indie' as you could get back in the time it was first released.  It was still made on a (relativity) low budget by a small team (6 members), and those that published it didn't have any input into the games design what so ever. Back then you simply had to have publishers to release anything, whereas now of course it's possible to release a game digitally.  This was not an option for RWS at the time. 

Also, AW was self published, as was the 10th anv and the Fudge pack.

jabbapopovvodka

• God Like
  • Guns don't kill people. SWORDS kill people!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 02:26:56 PM »
I dunno some indie games can be cool. I think what you're doing is just bashing for bash sake! Like a meta game! Pow pow I bash the indie game what fun they provide in spite of themselves! Really it's just a matter of the indie concept that you can publish anything regardless of quality, so you're bound to get a great deal of garbage. A lot of what you say as "Bad" is kind of very opinionated; all that you've listed have some real ardent followers; granted they're games of a lot smaller "scope," more conceptual than a full course meal you might get from a big studio title! But alas!

Some other indie games I've dropped a lot of time into are The Binding of Isaac and Dungeons of Dredmor. They fit into the trend of "old school," but as smaller budget/smaller priced games, they provide a ridiculous amount of content for the buttons you push/they push. Like I said, more "focused." Being indie it would seem to me makes you figure as a developer what you're good at/your strengths, and tailor an experience around that.

Quawonk

• Going Postal
  • <insert small penis joke here>
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 03:03:19 PM »
Minecraft.

/thread

jabbapopovvodka

• God Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 03:11:55 PM »
it's like legos, only creepy adults can play it with random little kids!

Flanagan

• God Like
  • Glad I could help!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 04:58:27 PM »
unles ur under 10 or autistic, minecraft is kinda shit.

i mean i am completely down with the idea of a huge, randomly generated world where you can fuck with the terrain, build and do whatever etc. but minecraft fucks it up by not taking that any further. theres no real objective, no interesting shit to find in the randomly generated terrain, nothing. thers nothing to do in minecraft. if there were like cool structures and randomly generated dungeouns, more enemies, an actual combat system, quests / adventures to do, then itd be good.

a minecraft + diablo hybrid would be pretty fantastic, if done well.

but sadly minecraft is just one gimmick with lots of unimportant gimmicks and shit that keeps it from having any kind of focus.

jabbapopovvodka

• God Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 05:28:22 PM »
Perhaps... Perhaps...

Heather

• Global Moderator
  • God Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2012, 06:58:09 PM »
I have never played, but it seems to have a huge following.

SlimDurst

• God Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 07:39:17 PM »
It's good for maybe 5 minutes and then it gets boring,just another gimmick really.

Username:
Password:
Session: