Author Topic: An Opinion  (Read 763 times)

Art Deco

• Sissy
    • View Profile
An Opinion
« on: June 12, 2012, 11:44:44 AM »
I've been a fan of the Postal series since way back in 1997, when I purchased the original game. Postal 2 was an excellent sequel too, in my opinion. It was apparent that a lot of thought was put into all of the extra added touches in Postal 2, which ultimately makes any game fun and enjoyable. Then there was a Postal movie made, which brought even more attention to RWS, as well as new fans to the series. So what the hell happened with Postal 3?

I've tried to figure out what went wrong and its easy to make Akella the bad guy from everything I've read. But seriously, the fault actually lies with Running With Scissors. RWS handed over the keys to the kingdom to a bunch of conniving assholes, and now you're whining that the assholes made a mess of things. To be honest, it was simply a boneheaded decision to hand over the keys to anyone, let alone these Russians. Postal is the only game franchise that RWS has! That would be like Valve allowing some Russians to develop Half Life 4, and then complaining that they screwed them and the fans when they make a mess of things. Place the responsibility where it belongs. RWS apparently has no business sense or even common sense for that matter.

To further demonstrate my point, from what I've read, RWS vision for the future now is to remake Postal 1. AS AN ISOMETRIC GAME AGAIN! Why in God's name would this even be considered? We already have Postal 1 as an isometric game and you complain that your previous games didn't make money. So does RWS actually think that people are now going to go running out to buy a remake of an isometric game as another isometric game? Seriously what kind of drugs are you guys on? You've received tons of free publicity due to controversy, and you've even had a movie made based on your work! Its not like you have hundreds of employees and dozens of game franchises to deal with. You have a single game franchise, few employees, tons of free publicity, and even a friggin movie based on your work! If you guys can't make any money its because you have no business or common sense.

But yes, continue to blame the stores because they wouldn't stock your games, and blame Akella and Trashmasters because they made a mess of things after you foolishly gave them the keys to the franchise. Its a shame that Postal 3 is crap and that we'll probably never receive a SDK. But you have only yourselves to blame for this mess, and you get no sympathy from me. Though I mourn what could have been, in the hands of a truly competent company.

Duck-and-Cover

• Lizard King
    • View Profile
Re: An Opinion
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 12:06:23 PM »
Wow...

I'm not going to claim to know exactly how everything went down, because to do so would be pretty naive, but I sincerely doubt that RWS knew from the get go what Akella would pull.  I'm sure that at the time it seemed like a good idea: extra funding, wider distribution (Russia already has a loyal Postal fan base), etc.  The deal didn't pan out as planned, and it happens sadly.  Hindsight is always 20/20.  This is absolutely nothing like Valve allowing a group like Akella to develop Half Life 4.  RWS is a small company who sought the help of a publishing company, because games are expensive to make.  People are pissed at Akella because of how they're behaving now, barely supporting Postal 3 and not releasing the SDK... which really defies all logic.

Also, I disagree with you on a Postal 1 remake.  It would be cheaper than launching straight into Postal 4, and it would be a great way to reintroduce RWS's vision of Postal back into today's generation of gamers.

Ingram

• God Like
    • View Profile
Re: An Opinion
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 04:06:47 PM »
I'd pay for Postal 1 MAPS remake for Postal 2.

Username:
Password:
Session: