Author Topic: Free2Play  (Read 1228 times)

noregrets

• Lizard King
    • View Profile
Free2Play
« on: June 09, 2012, 05:38:32 PM »
What's peoples opinion of F2P titles? Personally I hate the whole concept of it (squeezing cash from the consumer..)

I've seen that after Crysis 3 and Homefront 2 Crytek is exclusively working on free2play games http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/08/crykey-crytek-moving-to-f2p-for-good/

I hope that not all publishers catch on and start this free2play craze in which singleplayer campaigns are non-existant and multiplayer is a series of continuous microtransactions for trivial things like reloading or getting a new skin for a gun.

FaTony

• God Like
    • View Profile
Re: Free2Play
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 04:01:35 AM »
I hate them with passion.

So far the bigger offender is TF2.

Toploader

• Administrator
  • God Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 10:51:09 AM »
I don't really mind as long as it's not 'free to play, but pay to win' where you get a massive advantage if you buy this or that weapon.  If the balance of the game is not affected I don't mind if people wanna pay 100's of dollars for a special hat or outfit.  I've never been a big TF2 player, so I dunno how it affected that game when it went free to play.

Duck-and-Cover

• Lizard King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 11:00:16 AM »
I haven't really played many FTP games, as a lot of them are MMOs, but TF2 is an example of it done right.  Everything in the game, aside from the promo items, is obtainable without having to spend extra money.  You don't need to pay anything extra in order to be on an equal playing field.  It was actually a brilliant move on Valve's part
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 11:02:20 AM by Duck-and-Cover »

miker525

• Lizard King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 11:07:05 AM »
I dislike them. TF2 was one of my favorite games, before it went free to play. I think I've played 3 times since then and I didn't enjoy any of it.

Aside from TF2 I'd much rather pay to get the full game, as opposed to getting the base game, but having to pay for better weapons etc. Although in FTP game's defense I have been playing Ghost Recon: Online, which is FTP and I've loved it. That being said there is no 'store' yet so it's straight free.

I think I'd prefer a free to play base game, with paid expansion packs. But I mean expansion packs not these stupid little $15 map pack craps we have now. But that's never gonna happen.

I really hope Crytek does change their minds and continues to develop games that have to be paid for.

Also I'm quite excited for Homefront 2. I think I'm probably pretty alone (or at least I have been based on many other forums on the internet) when I say I absolutely loved the story and singleplayer of Homefront and the multiplayer wasn't terrible. I had a lot of fun overall with the game

SlimDurst

• God Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 12:43:12 PM »
I bought the orange box a while ago before tf2 went f2p and i still play it occasionally,i like counter strike more.

MrDownerup

• RWSBob
  • Administrator
  • God Like
  • Also? I can kill you with my brain.
    • View Profile
    • RWS
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 01:59:15 PM »
I bought TF2 Long ago,and hated it then,but after the F2P move..I had a brief love affair with it.. basically I agree with Tops.. if it doesn't affect the balance "much".. I don't care..I did hear players talking about the money they've wasted,but hey.. TF2 is brilliant game (even tho it's not my all time fav) I can still appreciate it... I think the F2P move was more of a (download steam) move honestly..prolly not the greatest example..

The_YongGrand

• Lizard King
  • Probably tangled it on the seat of mine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 08:54:58 PM »
TF2's cool when it's all released.

When they have tied the achievements with the weapons, this is where new problems started. On every release of new weapons, people would grind and grind on getting the number of acheivements so that they acquire the weapon. Needless to say, this wrecks the gameplay, and teamwork element is all gone by then.

Luckily they have added dropouts and trading to counter such problem. The grinding has been significantly less ever since, but they have "idling" servers just for getting the dropouts in a duration of the game while doing something else. That doesn't hurt other gamers because these "idling" are usually done at the other servers.

When it's F2P - newer problems are introduced. In my nation, sadly speaking, many of the new players are playing in a manner of Dota, or L4D. When these people group together, it will be like Beavis and Butthead playing and fighting together. All the teamwork element are gone, only leaving players beating other opposing forces for the sake of "high scores" or because they looked like zombies. When they kept dying, they would just leave and said "this sucks". ???

Username:
Password:
Session: