Author Topic: Need help figuring out how to create a material for a multi-textured mesh.  (Read 929 times)

BDX777

• Joe Bob
    • View Profile
Hi, I'm making a custom map, and my map is an actual 3d model. I need some help figuring out how to create a material for it and get all the textures to display on the mesh inside of PostEd.
Any idea on how to do this?

Kesha_Film

• Joe Bob
  • Nyan
    • View Profile
Let's clear some things, your level is actually a static mesh, created in 3D Editor (such as 3D Max, Blender, etc)?
If yes, then, import it into editor, then apply textures for this mesh. Of course you need to assign textures in 3D Editor first!
If you mean assigning textures to clean mesh in editor - then no, it's not possible.
You can do it more simple - create a level with brushes in editor, then convert it into static mesh.
Hope I have explained a lot.

BDX777

• Joe Bob
    • View Profile
Let's clear some things, your level is actually a static mesh, created in 3D Editor (such as 3D Max, Blender, etc)?
If yes, then, import it into editor, then apply textures for this mesh. Of course you need to assign textures in 3D Editor first!
If you mean assigning textures to clean mesh in editor - then no, it's not possible.
You can do it more simple - create a level with brushes in editor, then convert it into static mesh.
Hope I have explained a lot.
Nonono it's already textured and has UV maps, but I can only assign one of the textures I have to the mesh. How do I assign materials to this thing? It's already textured, but I can't figure out how to get it working inside of PostEd. It's not like Unreal Engine 3 or Unity where you can import your mesh and the textures it uses and put them in the correct materials and create new ones if necessary..

MrDownerup

• Administrator
  • God Like
  • Also? I can kill you with my brain.
    • View Profile
    • RWS
I'm on phone and no where near PC @ moment,so info may vary slightly.

In Max..edit the mesh..select only the polys you want material on,and give it a unique id.. 0 will be 1 in Max 1 will be 2 and so on.Then export..

Back to ued. make sure materials are imported first..import ase

If you need further help,reply and when I get near PC I will be more specific.

Kesha_Film

• Joe Bob
  • Nyan
    • View Profile
BDX777, there're two possible ways:
1. Apply textures right in "Static Meshes" window:
Spoiler for Hiden:
2. Apply textures in mesh properties, through "Add" button:
Spoiler for Hiden:

DrunkeN WolfeR

• Sissy
    • View Profile

MrDownerup

• Administrator
  • God Like
    • View Profile
    • RWS
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:

This will not help,if the materials aren't assigned correctly on export from MAX.. which appears to be his issue.. You can add materials,but unless there's a slot,it does nothing..However,if the slots ARE there,and materials are just missing.. this is the info you need.. PS: materials should always be imported first..

I had this in my bookmarks, that will help you.

http://www.kf-wiki.com/wiki/Help:Creating_multi-layered_static_mesh_skins

;)

Kesha_Film

• Joe Bob
  • Nyan
    • View Profile
MrDownerup author of this thread said that model is textured already, isn't it?

MrDownerup

• Administrator
  • God Like
    • View Profile
    • RWS
Doesn't matter.. You can have a model (in max) fully textured w/ several different textures,if the channels (material IDs) aren't setup proper,when you export/import..ue2 only sees it as one channel,so you can only add one texture..Unless of-course you take the time to bake down those multi textures,but that's another thread..ue3,4 usually handle all this shit for you,but P2 is old school..

but I can only assign one of the textures I have to the mesh
This leads me to believe this is his issue..Multi textures,one channel,etc,etc..

That said..It may just be the fact he needs to add the textures manually (as you've shown).. 8)

BDX777

• Joe Bob
    • View Profile
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:

Yeah but how do I get multiple materials on one mesh? What button adds a new material slot?

MrDownerup

• Administrator
  • God Like
    • View Profile
    • RWS
There is no way to add material slots in ue2..Must be correct in Max before export..

jhart3d

• Sissy
  • Moar Sci fi Corridors!
    • View Profile
Hey BDX777

Just so you know... When you're making a object in a 3d modeling program, and you have multiple textures assigned, to it... then you need to make sure those are assigned to different material ID's or channels...

In 3dsmax, i make sure i have all my materials assigned via a "multi-subobject" material, when you assign multiple textures to a object it will designate them per channel and when you import into ue2, you'll see multiple channels show up to load your textures in.

If you do not see your multiple channels showing up, then the file you're importing doesn't have that data, and you'll need to go back into your 3d modeling program and apply those textures per channel..

Could you show us a example of how you have your object and materials setup in your 3d program?

maybe a screenshot of the object and the way you have your materials setup? =3

-Tyler

Username:
Password:
Session: