Author Topic: a question about source engine/valve/akella  (Read 1294 times)

grimgate

• Sissy
    • View Profile
a question about source engine/valve/akella
« on: April 24, 2012, 06:07:55 PM »
I'm confused. How can akella hold back something they dont own? I'm not sure about all these politics, but couldnt valve(assuming they own source?) step in in some way shape or form regarding akella? I could be completely retarded here, but was just a thought. Maybe petition steam? valve? something? Just looking for ways to help RWS.

stein411

• Sissy
    • View Profile
Re: a question about source engine/valve/akella
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 07:11:18 PM »
In a word no... that would be like saying that everything ever created using C++ would belong to MS... :)  Well... not the best analogy, but Source is just the toolset/engine, not everything that is Postal.

grimgate

• Sissy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 07:33:51 PM »
oh ok. I just thought most source games, if not all, had a sdk out. thought it was part of the engine as a whole.

just makes akella look like a bunch of assholes i guess. I for one, will never buy another game with their name on it. It's like they dont even care about the people trying to make the game better.

I'm sure we all, at some point, could make this game great.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 07:38:37 PM by grimgate »

FaTony

• God Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 07:26:34 PM »
that would be like saying that everything ever created using C++ would belong to MS...

C++ is governed by ISO, not MS.

Toploader

• Administrator
  • God Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 08:13:43 PM »
oh ok. I just thought most source games, if not all, had a sdk out. thought it was part of the engine as a whole.

Kinda, but yeah, they are able to just not release the source code and editor (like Unreal Engine games, pretty much none of them release the editor these days, which is a shame).  It's just up until Postal 3, most Source games would release the editor.

Sadly Akella own that side of it, so there is not a great deal RWS can do other than negotiate and reason with them, to allow us and the fans to support the game they have abandoned.

Username:
Password:
Session: