Author Topic: Help Running the GOG Edition, "Postal 2 Complete", on Linux.  (Read 1402 times)

Ingram

• God Like
    • View Profile
Help Running the GOG Edition, "Postal 2 Complete", on Linux.
« on: April 26, 2012, 07:04:47 PM »
Hi! A friend of mine gifted me the "Postal 2 Complete" pack DRM free from Good Old Games (gog.com) back in 2009 October or so. It includes Postal 2 1409 and Apocalypse Weekend 1411. I updated the game to 1409x, installed AWP, Eternal Damnation, A Very Postal Christmas, etc, and everything goes fine, but i want to move to Slackware Linux (I already tested it in a VM), so i want to know where i can acquire te linux shell executables to run the game in that OS.
 I know i can run the game fine with wine (I tested it time ago in Debian, currently i'm on winxp), but i want a native way to run it.
 I really love the game, i cut off little girl's head and then pee in their dead bodies everyday :P
 Thanks.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 07:11:58 PM by Ingram »

Toploader

• Administrator
  • God Like
    • View Profile
Re: Help Running the GOG Edition, "Postal 2 Complete", on Linux.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 09:30:40 PM »
Sadly GoG does not offer a native Linux for download.  You can buy the game from Desura.com (which, if you are going to Linux, you will wanna get yourself an account for it) which offers a newly updated Linux client to play Postal 2 and AW. 

MrDownerup

• RWSBob
  • Administrator
  • God Like
  • Also? I can kill you with my brain.
    • View Profile
    • RWS
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 10:55:34 PM »
I think all he needs is the linux version of the postal2.exe ,and a few library files..you might be able to get postal2 working by using the linux files from freemp version in fact..

that said.. I use desura as well.. really is the easiest way.. fairly priced even..
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 10:58:18 PM by MrDownerup »

Toploader

• Administrator
  • God Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 12:07:49 AM »
The thing is there are problems with the old Linux version of Postal 2 on modern distros (so I'm told, all above my head). The only place that currently offers the new version is Desura.  As it's something they took the time to fix for us, I don't tend to just hand out the files because it's better to support them and they deserve all the Linux support they can get.

Desura is also DRM free, for what it's worth. You can use the client if you wish, but you are able to download and use the game without it also.

Ingram

• God Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 06:08:32 AM »
Well, looks like replacing the FreeMP files with the full Postal2STP ones works perfectly... But i don't know how to run Apocalypse Weekend and AWP, i have some ideas, later i'm going to try.
If you know the command line to indicate postal2 file to run another config file (The AWP config file, for example) tell me.
 Thanks for your time people.

Username:
Password:
Session: