Author Topic: FREE TO PLAY  (Read 3275 times)

RWS

• Administrator
  • Going Postal
    • View Profile
FREE TO PLAY
« on: July 03, 2014, 02:12:12 PM »
FREE TO PLAY

The following post comes straight from the heart. It was written by Vince himself to commemorate the 4th of July and the meaning and importance of the date to the people of the United States.

Quote from: Vince
“FREE TO PLAY”

In the past year we have seen a surge of interest in retro gaming and a new respect for Indie Developers.  While I’m proud our company Running With Scissors is a part of this renaissance it was at E3 2014 a few weeks ago that I felt conflicted and compelled to write this.  Long hours, no weekends, too much pizza, late milestones, missed payments, all standard elements of game development.

Have you ever…
  • Worked for no pay?
  • Missed a mortgage payment to keep payroll going?
  • Funded a marketing campaign with a credit card?

If you’re a true Indie Developer then sure you have.  ‘I feel your pain’.  Fuck that.  It’s bullshit and if you think you deserve some special credit or recognition you’re delusional.  You did it just like me, because you chose to. Nobody made you do it! Nobody said you couldn’t stop. If your sucking on a publisher’s tit then don’t be surprised when your crotch hurts, it’s your balls being squeezed by your sugar daddy publisher.

What is freedom?
Freedom is the power to exercise choice and make decisions without constraint from within or without, autonomy, self-determination.
Take nothing for granted, be humble, give and you shall receive. Be real to yourself, make a game you want to play yourself, have fun making it and gamers will have fun playing it. It’s really that simple!

Freedom is not free.  Many have paid with their blood, and others gave their lives. Not video game green blood or power up lives. Real Blood, Real Lives, that’s what makes Freedom so valuable.

So this July 4th, honor with me the priceless lives and sacrifice of all those who have served to protect us and our right to make and play games.

~Vince

When you are out partying and enjoying the celebrations, it wouldn't hurt to stop for a moment and think about what Vince had to say about July 4th. You may want to take time to give thanks that because of the selflessness of others, you and your fellow Americans are able to enjoy the hard won rights of freedom.

jabbapopovvodka

• God Like
  • Guns don't kill people. SWORDS kill people!
    • View Profile
Re: FREE TO PLAY
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 05:07:59 PM »
Yay fourth of july. I'm glad we're not british anymore. Or polish, like my immigrant great grandfather.

LONEWOLFJE

• Lizard King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 05:58:42 PM »
Vince...AMEN...well spoken from the heart :)

Heather

• Global Moderator
  • God Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 06:16:12 PM »
Happy 4th of July!

DaBOSS54320

• Sissy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 03:07:51 AM »
Happy 4th, and damn I couldn't agree more with that quote.
I'm a indie game developer myself (or trying to be one at least) and it's been a hell of a task for me to even get started, but when I do I will always stay making my own games. Even if I earn little to no money I will keep making my own games so I can truly create what I want in a game. Even if some huge company wants to hire me for thousands of dollars, I wouldn't do it. I want to have the freedom to make games how I want, not be told what to make and how to make it.

Sorry if you don't give a shit to hear about my games xD, but nice speech Vince.

Username:
Password:
Session: