Lucky for some: Big POSTAL 2 Update will land Friday the 13th
Its time for the great news everybody has been holding their breath and thinking about and impatiently waiting for! As per our Greenlight pledge, we promised POSTAL 2 would get new achievements. As a bit of a tease, we let it slip there would be a free DLC coming for POSTAL 2 and then we didn’t really say much more. Well at long last the wait and speculation is over. All that changed yesterday when we officially announced the coming of the promised DLC and Achievements. This DLC patch will be rolling out ready for action beginning Friday the 13th on Steam for the Windows version so prepare yourself for a lot of added fun and
games. This single player patch fulfils our Greenlight pledge of adding achievements while also adding in some of the most commonly requested features by our community. For those shuddering at the abbreviation DLC worry not as the updates are entirely free to present and future owners of POSTAL 2, as a thank you to our community for making POSTAL 2 on Steam a reality. The DRM free versions will also get the updates sometime in the new year.
To our Mac and Linux friends, fear not! The updates will come to these platforms too in time. We apologize for the delay and will inform you when we know when these updates will become available to you. We are still very much committed to Linux and Mac.
For the purists out there, we will make the current build on Steam available via a beta branch. Disclaimer: older saves will not be compatible with this release, sorry 'bout that. Might also break some mods, but we will post a full guide for modders on how to quickly adapt their current mods to work with it. Future updates should not disrupt anything though now we have laid out the new base.
Without further ado, these are the changes you can expect from this first major update to POSTAL 2 in 10 years.
* Added A Week In Paradise (AWP)A much requested feature was for us to add the updates from the very popular AWP mod into the base POSTAL 2 game. This means it is now possible to play POSTAL 2 and Apocalypse weekend in one playthrough. More than just a simple copy and paste, we have tweaked and improved many aspects of the game along the way.
* Dismemberment from Apocalypse weekend is now a feature of the entire game. One of the best new features of the Apocalypse weekend expansion pack was the dismemberment feature, and we have now rolled it back to the entire campaign.
* Added new weapons (from the Eternal Damnation total conversion) so now there are more weapons to GO POSTAL with:
- Knuckle dusters
- Flame Thrower
- Grenade Launcher
- Sawn off Shotgun
- Baseball bat
* Greater variation in NPC and Zombie appearance. NPC’s how carry bags, wear hats, shades and sport some funky hairdos. These are not the somewhat shabby one’s you saw in the original AWP mod but totally new ones made to a much higher standard.
We have also included a much greater variation in Zombies, courtesy again of the Eternal Damnation modification.
* Added 68 Steam Achievements! We said it would be 69, had to drop one at that last minute spoiling our silly fun. Still, should be enough to keep you going! There is also an in game achievement system for the benefit of future DRM free builds.
* Improved widescreen compatibility, including tripled headed solutions.
The widescreen stretching and hud issues are now fixed, and we also made the effort to get ultra wide screen working correctly, should you own an Eyefinity/Surround/Triplehead set up.
* Added the much requested FoV slider to the performance menu and V-sync to the video options.
* Some minor visual updates. You can now see through windows, how novel eh? Plus some other things here and there.
* Added launcher to give the ability to change settings before you start the game. A small number of people were affected by a problem where the game would crash on launch unless the video settings matched the resolution of their desktop. This will allow users to set these options before they launch the game and save having to dig around configuration files. Furthermore it now allows access to the MP game via the desktop shortcut.
Also handy for those that want to idle for the trading cards but not play the game, but I'm sure no one would want to do that… right?
* Added an option for micro-transactions! You can now buy Champ new outfits for 10 bucks a piece, or pay for a 50 bucks season pass to obtain them all as they become available, before you've even seen what they are. Now you can really dress in style and so can Champ too! (Just kiddin’, but it shows the sad state of the industry when you probably half believed that whilst reading it.)
Fixes and Improvements
* Fixed the submit bug reports option after a crash so we can collect information for future fixes. Hopefully you’ll never have to use this, but if you do, we’ll be sure to look into it.
* Fixed a collision crash that would sometimes occur with dismemberment. At least we hope, we've not been able to recreate it lately, we’ll be monitoring the crash reports. If you do have this issue please be sure to submit the crash report and explain what you were doing when it happened.
* Fixed a problem where NPC’s would not react to your ‘Get Down’ command. Hitting that G key while in front of NPC’s will now actually do something. Isn't that grand?
* Fixed a problem where angry dogs could not be tamed by feeding them. So go and recruit those attack dogs!
* Temporary fix for some of the worst fulbright issues on modern PC’s...although not all. We realized late into things we will have to redo most of the lighting to really solve this problem and we’ll look into it for a future patch.
* Lots of other little fixes. The obligatory elusive line everyone adds to their change log for no good reason.
Editor fixes and improvements:
We'll be looking into adding workshop to POSTAL 2 in the next patch and we’ve started improving the modding tools to reflect that.
* Marquee select now works in the front and side viewports
* Space bar will now maximize the viewport you are working in (even if they are fixed)
* Added filters for the sound and static mesh browser windowsWant to show your thanks for this awesome and free DLC? Post a link to this article around on your favourite websites and social media outlets! Never know, it might encourage us to do more!