Author Topic: Would you contribute money to a POSTAL remake?  (Read 11013 times)

noregrets

• Lizard King
    • View Profile
Re: Would you contribute money to a POSTAL remake?
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2012, 01:20:53 AM »
If it's a remake it should be as close to the original as possible bar the necessary changes (controls, graphics, etc..)
A remake is a remake...it should be the same game but updated graphically with nice controls and other changes that one would expect.

Maybe, although I'm leaning more towards a re-imaging than a remake, or even an entirely new type of game all together just inspired by P1's style. For example P1's controls are not great and in this day of duel analog pads it would be insane not to take advantage of that, so rather than the 'tank' type controls of P1 you would be able to move and shoot in two directions at once.  This would of course change the way the game is played so therefore much more would change.

I won't mind if you produce tons of versions for shitty mobile devices.

To be clear though, a full desktop version would be made as the primary platform, then scaled down for a mobile device, not the other way around.

If it's going to be a different type of game it's probably better just to make an original isometric Postal game. Sort of like Duke Nukem Manhattan Project (sidescroller released in early 2000s in the same vain was the original two Duke Nukem games)

prawdziwy 666

• Lizard King
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2012, 04:56:59 AM »
I have an idea

keep everything as close to original as possible and the only thing to changed is graphics (3d instead of 2d), and better control

What do you say?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 04:59:05 AM by prawdziwy 666 »

Hamish

• Joe Bob
  • "I regret nothing!"
    • View Profile
    • icculus.org homepage
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2012, 12:20:45 PM »
I must admit, after playing the original Postal after I got it from Desura (on Linux of course) it has actually grown on me. The controls are a little hard to wrap your head around, but they do provide for a rather anxious gameplay experience  (in a good way) as you are never really that sure where you are aiming and what is behind you. It adds to the games dark ambience.

That being said, going the opposite route and allowing for a lot more control over the character will make the gunplay and the violence itself a lot more satisfying. I mean, what made Postal 2 (and especially Apocalypse Weekend) so fun was the ability to do almost anything with the game-world and watching the physics in action as you shot, hack, slashed, burned, and pissed your way through the opposition.

Both methods have their merits, and the latter will certainly show off the technology a lot better. But I must admit that Postal 1 is not as much of a trouble masterpiece as the first level made it feel for me initially.

mrchriscrisp

• Sissy
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2012, 03:17:19 PM »
you know im not sure about a remake to go back to the darker roots of postal cus the thing with postal 3 is they had a great idea but i just wasn't excucuted well.... so i think maybe a remake of postal 2 but just a little darker would be awesome!

Hamish

• Joe Bob
  • "I regret nothing!"
    • View Profile
    • icculus.org homepage
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2012, 04:14:13 PM »
The problem is that to make a game nearly as complicated and detailed as Postal 2 would take much more time and money - one could make a very decent version of Postal 1 on modern technology without breaking the bank. Besides, Postal 2 as a technical product has aged much better than Postal 1 has (stuck at 640x480 anyone?).

LONEWOLFJE

• Lizard King
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2012, 06:13:49 PM »
I am game!, tell me what i have to do! :)

VinceDesi

• Joe Bob
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2012, 07:56:55 PM »
just a quick thanks to all who express themselves

Faldarn

• Going Postal
  • Why hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2012, 12:46:57 PM »
Recently a website called Kickstarter has been used to fund a few videogame remakes and sequels, most notably the remake of Leisure Suit Larry in Land of the Lounge Lizards and the sequel to the 1988 title Wasteland, Wasteland 2.

Now, with these Kickstarters being extremely successful in raising the funds needed to develop the videogames an idea has come to mind...why not start a Kickstarter to fund a remake of the original POSTAL?

Use this thread for discussion regarding whether or not you think a POSTAL remake Kickstarter would be successful, would you contribute money to a Kickstarter and so forth.

FUCK. YES.

Faldarn

• Going Postal
  • Why hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2012, 02:45:21 PM »
Linux support would be nice, but it's kinda unlikely, the main engines we would probably go with (UDK, or Unity) don't export to Linux (I might be wrong about Unity there).   I'd really want it on unreal, to to help with encouraging mod support after release.

Unity supports both Mac and Linux. Wasteland 2 is using Unity and it's released over Windows, Mac and Linux.

Toploader

• Administrator
  • God Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2012, 04:30:36 PM »
Since I wrote that it's started to support it yes.

ZEPH

• Sissy
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2012, 02:52:06 PM »
Please make this happen. I was thinking though couldn't some of the code from postal 2 be slightly transferable to UDK. Just thinking if you guys were considering doing a remake of postal 2 that might be helpful.

P.S. Whatever you guys choose you got my support

ZEPH

• Sissy
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2012, 04:18:44 AM »
Any update?

homiJ15

• Sissy
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2012, 12:44:39 AM »
Please make this happen. I was thinking though couldn't some of the code from postal 2 be slightly transferable to UDK. Just thinking if you guys were considering doing a remake of postal 2 that might be helpful.

P.S. Whatever you guys choose you got my support

The parent classes in P2 aren't even close to being similar to the UDK's aka it would be a super bitch and a half to use.

Flanagan

• Official Tooltip Administrative Constipator of Postal 3 Affairs
  • God Like
  • Glad I could help!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2012, 04:43:40 AM »
Any update?
Yes, your support and your pledge just now saved this project. The instant that you made your post, the Postal franchise was saved forever and financed with all the money that it would ever need, and it's all thanks to you.

Congratulations.

ZEPH

• Sissy
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2012, 01:26:45 AM »
Any update?
Yes, your support and your pledge just now saved this project. The instant that you made your post, the Postal franchise was saved forever and financed with all the money that it would ever need, and it's all thanks to you.

Congratulations.

Thanks cunt.

Username:
Password:
Session: