Author Topic: Would you contribute money to a POSTAL remake?  (Read 11840 times)

Toploader

• Administrator
  • God Like
    • View Profile
Re: Would you contribute money to a POSTAL remake?
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2012, 10:25:54 AM »
That's what we need, a hard core Postal and Linux fan with a few million to throw at the project.   ::)

MaximB

• Sissy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2012, 12:53:39 AM »
That's what we need, a hard core Postal and Linux fan with a few million to throw at the project.   ::)

How much money would it cost to make a Postal1 remake ?
How much money for Postal2 like game ?

There are several kickstarter project which managed to get 1-3 Million and they promise an AAA+ titles (wastelands2, Shadowrun, that adventure game), and there are many kickstarter projects who settled for much less (about 100,000-500,000) and still promised to be great (look at Nekro Alpha, even now it looks great and they only ask for 100,000 , or The Banner Saga which looks fantastic even now).

There are already several "postal1" like games (same game style) like : The Earth: Battle for Survival, which only asks for 10,000 and already looks better than then the original Posta1.

I kinda doubt that creating Postal2 like game would cost a minimum of 3 million, I'm sure you could make a great AAA game with less money as the other kickstarter projects out there.

Remember that when you use kickstarter, you kick the publishers in the nuts and save yourselves a LOT of money.

My point is,  if you want to make a postal game on kickstarter - make it something like Postal2 which got a hell lot more fans than Postal1.
yes it will cost more, but you will also manage to gather more funds for the project.
Also it would be a shame to "waste" such a great engine as unigine on Postal1 remake rather than Postal2 like game (which got way more potential).

Toploader

• Administrator
  • God Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2012, 01:44:20 AM »
Whist your enthusiasm is appreciated, I think you overestimate the kinda support a Postal game would get in a kickstarter.  There is no way any of them, be it Postal 1 or 2, would hit the million dollar mark. It's a cult game with a brilliant and loyal following, but not enough to generate the kinda funds that would be needed.  Postal 1 might just scrap the sort of funding it needs, Postal 2 would need vastly more resources.  Hell, even the Leisure suit Larry Kickstarer is struggling right now, it will probably make it's goal, but only just, despite the massive amount of PR they are pumping into it and the history the game has.

To remake Postal 2 to modern standers would need at least a team of 6 working full time for 2 years or so, and not a great deal from the original Postal 2 could be reused. In short, the only real option for a Kickstater would be Postal 1, and I really do think we would be lucky to make any funding goals even at a low target such as 400,000 bucks or so.

Also, Postal 1 has much more selling potential, as it would scale to a mobile device much better meaning we could sell it on Android ect.  If all that worked out well and brought home a profit, then yes, Postal 2 could be considered.  But at the sort of money it would take to redo Postal 2, it would probably make more sense to make an entirely new Postal game, such as the game Russian Postal should have been.

And it does not take much to look better than the first Postal 1. We would not settle for anything less that it looking modern, to the standards of a game like Dead Nation
Dead Nation - Downtown HD Gameplay *PS3 EXCLUSIVE*
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 01:47:21 AM by Toploader »

MaximB

• Sissy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2012, 02:28:31 AM »
Whist your enthusiasm is appreciated, I think you overestimate the kinda support a Postal game would get in a kickstarter.  There is no way any of them, be it Postal 1 or 2, would hit the million dollar mark. It's a cult game with a brilliant and loyal following, but not enough to generate the kinda funds that would be needed.  Postal 1 might just scrap the sort of funding it needs, Postal 2 would need vastly more resources.  Hell, even the Leisure suit Larry Kickstarer is struggling right now, it will probably make it's goal, but only just, despite the massive amount of PR they are pumping into it and the history the game has.

To remake Postal 2 to modern standers would need at least a team of 6 working full time for 2 years or so, and not a great deal from the original Postal 2 could be reused. In short, the only real option for a Kickstater would be Postal 1, and I really do think we would be lucky to make any funding goals even at a low target such as 400,000 bucks or so.

Also, Postal 1 has much more selling potential, as it would scale to a mobile device much better meaning we could sell it on Android ect.  If all that worked out well and brought home a profit, then yes, Postal 2 could be considered.  But at the sort of money it would take to redo Postal 2, it would probably make more sense to make an entirely new Postal game, such as the game Russian Postal should have been.

And it does not take much to look better than the first Postal 1. We would not settle for anything less that it looking modern, to the standards of a game like Dead Nation Dead Nation - Downtown HD Gameplay *PS3 EXCLUSIVE*

The reason that Leisure suit Larry struggles on kickstarter is because it's a remake (a remake of a 15-20 year old game !), many Larry fans requested a whole new game of Larry (but as in your situation they said that they need to gather more and more money from remakes to be able to make a whole new game), thats why I dunno if I'm going to contribute to that Larry1 remake (will I probably would at the end), but I would throw much more money for a new game and not a remake (pledged  $50  to Nekro and The Banner Saga each).

I didn't really mean a remake of Postal2, what I meant was a new game that would be similar to Postal2.

Well, I have a proposition :
When you will make a kickstarter project, just name it "Postal game" and make "goals" :
* if you reach X amount of money then we will make a Postal1 remake
* if we reach XX amount of money then we will make Postal2 remake
* if we reach XXX amount of money then we will make a new postal game
* if we have X amount of money/fans requesting a Linux port - we ill do it.

etc...

You have nothing to lose here, only to gain more money.
But be realistic and don't ask for too much (like 5 millions).

MrDownerup

• RWSBob
  • Administrator
  • God Like
  • Also? I can kill you with my brain.
    • View Profile
    • RWS
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2012, 08:21:05 AM »

When you will make a kickstarter project, just name it "Postal game" and make "goals" :

etc...

that's a very good idea..I'd adjust 'em a bit (linux not being @ the bottom) but good idea..

MaximB

• Sissy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2012, 08:55:32 AM »

etc...

that's a very good idea..I'd adjust 'em a bit (linux not being @ the bottom) but good idea..

You are correct !
Linux should be in the top tire, if X fans /X money will be reached - then we will create a Linux client.

The best projects already done it and look how much money they managed to raise by offering a Linux support.

Toploader

• Administrator
  • God Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2012, 09:49:19 AM »
It is a good idea, but it does not change the fact Postal would not, in any form, raise enough money from a kickstater.  I was all hyped on the idea myself for a while, but then I took a reality check.

We might try one day when all other options are ruled out, more for a joke than anything.

MaximB

• Sissy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2012, 10:16:03 AM »
It is a good idea, but it does not change the fact Postal would not, in any form, raise enough money from a kickstater.  I was all hyped on the idea myself for a while, but then I took a reality check.

We might try one day when all other options are ruled out, more for a joke than anything.

Always happy to hear some enthusiasm from a RWS employee...
I understand you you are feeling very bad and not sure about the future of RWS and Postal, but still - I haven't lost hope that one day Blood3 will come out (Blood2 sucks ! Blood 1 rules ! ) even trough they no longer care about the trademark of Blood.

And there are fans for many games, and the time is coming for old games to be resurrected , look at Wastelands2, look at Shadowrun Returns, and look at that Advanture game that got 3 Million bucks.
There is always hope, as long as YOU didn't lose it.
If you will make an honest try, then maybe it will come true.
But if you do nothing...nothing will happen.

There are many fans who would love a Postal1 remake, and there are even more fans who would love to see a Postal2 "remake" (or similar).
So don't lose hope, gather yourselves together and do something.
And if there is a chance for a Linux client, I will help you as much as I can.

Toploader

• Administrator
  • God Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2012, 10:36:38 AM »
You're taking me the wrong way, It's not about lack of enthusiasm, it's just a simple reality check.  I have every faith in RWS and the Postal brand in the future, what I'm saying is it's unlikely Kickstarter will be the answer.  So, no hope has been lost and I don't feel bad at all really, I'm just being honest about this particular issue. 

We have a reasonable size of loyal fans, just it's probably not enough to raise money in order to pay for and publish a game.  Everyone needs to understand we don't have the kinda massive fan base these other games have enjoyed in the past and Postal remains very cult.  There are many fans that would like a remake I'm sure, and a good few of them would no doubt throw in $15 or so, but I doubt it will add up to the sort of cash needed (400,000 would be in the minimum I think would be needed, at a guess).

Also, I have not said we will NOT do a kickstater, it's on the table, it's just not the first option.  If we did a KS and it failed badly, it would hurt the chances of securing investment from other sources. Also, I think it's sensible to see how the end results for these other games turn out too, and how the backers and fans react once they have played Wasteland, Double Fine adventure, and so on. 

Still, I would love to be wrong on this, and we might one day find out :)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 10:40:04 AM by Toploader »

FaTony

• God Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2012, 09:08:56 PM »
Why not just patch Postal 1 code? I have Postal X which contains Postal Plus, but it's unplayable. 640x480@256clrs/16bit?@60Hz? Ugh. And controls are bad.

Just make it so resolution can be adjusted and support for new input method. Release it for 5$. Profit!

Hamish

• Joe Bob
  • "I regret nothing!"
    • View Profile
    • icculus.org homepage
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2012, 01:57:16 PM »
So apparently Unity can be made to work on Linux:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTEwMzA

goingpostal

• Sissy
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2012, 06:57:05 AM »
Please Postal 1 remake with those sick plot and in 3d. I will be happy!!!

FaTony

• God Like
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2012, 10:04:42 AM »
I see no point in 3D tbh.

goingpostal

• Sissy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2012, 10:31:34 AM »
I mean in FPS Mode. But i will buy it ! Postal 1 is my favorite postal game. Sick plot, Strange Sounds, Strange Images. Please remake this!

goingpostal

• Sissy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2012, 07:45:50 AM »
i don't care if it would be in fps mode or in isometric, i will buy this! ^^

Username:
Password:
Session: